Barrie provides quality care outside of the traditional school day. Convenient and reliable before and after school care is available to our enrolled students from age 12 months through Grade 8.
Hours: AM - 7:00 am to 8:30 am
PM - 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Extended Care is available for sign up through your enrollment agreement. If changes need to be made after your annual contract has been signed, please contact the Admission Office.
Barrie's Extended Day Program offers a warm and nurturing environment, which meets the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of your child. While respecting the individuality of your child's development, the program fosters a sense of community within the group, encourages learning amongst the children, and enhances your child's emerging social skills. Teachers and group leaders are sensitive to the developmental needs of the child and provide appropriate support and programming.
Full-time, part-time, and drop-in usage of the program are available by advance arrangement with the Extended Day Director or the Business Office. Space is limited for the Toddler and Primary Program students, age 12 months through Kindergarten.
- All students who are on campus after the end of their dismissal time will automatically be placed into their age-appropriate Extended Day group unless they are participating in an after school activity. Students who are on campus after the end of the regular school day for an activity run by another department or teacher must be under the supervision of the respective department or program leader.
- If a student needs to use the extended day program for more than two days a week on a regular basis, the student should be enrolled full-time. Otherwise, drop-in charges will apply.
- Fees and Fee Waivers
- Drop-In, Short Term Usage, and Fees
- Program Details - Grades 1-8
- After School Enrichment Programs - K-8
- Childcare for Conference & Professional Days
Extended Day Fees
- Morning Only (7:00 AM to 8:30 AM; 12 month to Grade 8): $2,480
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 12 month to Grade 8): $3,825
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 12 month to Grade 8): $2,445
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 12 month to Grade 8): $5,050
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 12 month to Grade 8): $3,980
Barrie offers complimentary Extended Day in the following circumstances:
- As the school day for students in the 4th through 12th Grades begins earlier than for Primary and Lower Elementary students, younger siblings of 4th through 12th Grade Barrie students are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens.
- Students arriving by bus are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens.
- Parents are permitted to drop off their Barrie students while they attend a scheduled school meeting or conference.
- For ratio purposes, all drop-ins for students in the Toddler or Primary program must be pre-registered for Extended Day, including complimentary drop-ins.
Drop in care before or after school is possible, based on space available. Drop-ins must be arranged with extended day personnel. Email the Extended Day Office at least 24 hours prior to the day that you are requesting.
Drop In Fees 2019-2020
- AM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $25 per day
- PM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $30 per day
- Fee for late pick up after scheduled 5 pm pickup time: $1 per minute up to $30
- Fee for late pick up after 6 pm: $2 per minute
- Following another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $30 per day
- While a Barrie sibling is participating in another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $30 per day
- Fee for late pick up 30 minutes or more after early dismissal due to inclement weather, $2 per minute
- Toddlers: 12 months and 2's - Founders Hall 1A/B
- Primary: Dorothy's class, Neubert 1
- Elementary and Middle School: Strauss Gym and Rothschild Library
- Toddlers: Founders Hall 1A/B and 2
- Primary (two classes): Neubert 1 (Dorothy's class), and McDermott 3
- Lower Elementary - Rothschild Art Room and Library
- Upper Elementary - Upper Elementary Library from 3-3:30, then the Middle School Commons from 3:30-6
- Middle School: Middle School Commons
Grades 1 - 3
The 1-3 graders will have opportunities to explore various activities hoping to spark new interests through exciting endeavors. By introducing them to a wide range of broadly scoped activities, it gives them a chance to “test the water” and find out where their passion may lay. Activities offered include, but are not limited to, team sports’ clinics like flag football or soccer, boating, arts and crafts, dramatic arts, outdoor living, explorers, nature walks, and so many more. Starting after Labor Day, a portion of our day will be devoted to Team Projects. In Team Projects, students will have to work together over the course of the week to complete a project, be it a treasure hunt where they follow a list of clues and riddles to find what is hidden around our Upper Campus, building an outdoor picnic area where students can gather to enjoy s’mores and a small bonfire on Friday. These special, week-long projects help build community and collaboration. Team Projects will be devised for every other week, and parents will be notified the week prior if students need to bring any additional materials with them.
From 3-3:30 Lower Elementary Extended Day students will check-in, hear daily announcements and enjoy a snack in the Art Room in Rothschild Hall. First period will be from 3:30-4:15, and students can choose one of two activities available led by our staff members. Activity options will change every day, providing a variety of choices throughout the week. Second period Team Projects is from 4:15-5, with each day wrapping up from 5-6 is self-guided supervised play.
Using the skills and potential creativity found in 1-3 grade extended day, students can move forward in their personal and academic careers with a better understanding of what they are interested in and who they want to be.
Grades 4 - 8
Since the Upper Elementary and Middle School schedules have different end times, the Upper Elementary students will have snack and daily announcements in the Upper Elementary library from 3:15 to 3:45. Middle school students will have snack from 3:30 to 4 in CB 1 in the Middle School Commons.
Extended Day activities will begin at 3:30 with first period. Second period will begin at 4:15 and go until 5, with the rest of the day being devoted to self-guided play. We utilize our campus as much as possible, hoping to engage students with the endless possibilities of the natural world while blending in our own academic structure. By engaging in these activities, we foster a secure community and encourage a sense of camaraderie! Activities this school year are, but not limited to, team sports clinics, archery, canoeing, explorers, outdoor living skills, bonfires, dramatic arts and arts and crafts! Students will also have the opportunity to cheer on Barrie sporting events throughout the school year.
Does your Middle School student like tinkering with computers? Are they interested in digital art and design? It doesn't matter if they’ve never typed a line of code or are 3D printing and Python whiz; Middle School Maker Club is the place for them! In Maker Club, we'll be designing 3D models, making interactive digital art, and using our 3D printers and laser cutter to bring our digital creations into the physical world. Our focus this year will be primarily on digital making, so get your digits limbered up for some practical programming!
For families that are interested, we will also be making available a dedicated Study Hall time. This is a quiet time for students to focus on school work, homework or independent reading. A member of the Extended Day staff will be there to assist students, although not to conduct a formal review of their homework. Please know that students enrolled in Study Hall will be required to stay throughout the period.
Is your child interested in cooking, karate, piano and/or science? Six exciting programs are on the schedule for students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade returning the week of September 23! Most programs run once a week for eight weeks. Availability and rates vary.
2019 Fall Enrichment Program Guide
2019 Fall Enrichment Enrollment Form
2019 Fall Karate Enrollment Form
When considering your interest in enrolling in an After School Enrichment Program, please take note of the end time for each program. Students who remain on campus after a program ends must be supervised by their parent, guardian or a member of the Barrie staff. Children who are not picked up by the end of a particular program will be taken to their appropriate aged Extended Day program. Drop in rates apply.
Director of Camp
Director of Extended Day - Grades 1-8
Director of Extended Day - Toddler & Primary
Lower Elementary Extended Day Lead Teacher
Upper Elementary and Middle School Extended Day Lead Teacher