Barrie provides quality care outside of the traditional school day. Convenient and reliable before and after school care is available to our enrolled students from age 18 months through Grade 8.
Hours: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Barrie's Extended Day Program offers a warm and nurturing environment, which meets the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of your child. While respecting the individuality of your child's development, the program fosters a sense of community within the group, encourages learning amongst the children, and enhances your child's emerging social skills. Teachers and group leaders are sensitive to the developmental needs of the child and provide appropriate support and programming.
Full-time, part-time, and drop-in usage of the program are available by advance arrangement with the Extended Day Director or the Business Office. Space is limited for the Toddler and Primary Program students, age 18 months through Kindergarten.
Extended Day Fees
- Morning Only (7:00 AM to 8:30 AM; 18 month to Grade 8): $2,430
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $3,750
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $2,395
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $4,950
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $3,900
Barrie offers complimentary Extended Day in the following circumstances:
- As the school day for students in the 4th through 12th Grades begins earlier than for Primary and Lower Elementary students, younger siblings of 4th through 12th Grade Barrie students are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens.
- Students arriving by bus are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens.
- Parents are permitted to drop off their Barrie students while they attend a scheduled school meeting or conference.
- For ratio purposes, all drop-ins for students in the Toddler or Primary program must be pre-registered for Extended Day, including complimentary drop-ins.
Drop-In / Short-Term Usage
Based on space available, other than the described fee waiver circumstances, Drop-In usage is possible, but must be arranged with extended day personnel. Email the Extended Day Office at least 24 hours prior to the day that you are requesting.
Based on space available, short-term usage of at least a month or more can be arranged through the business office. An Extended Day Agreement must be completed and the amount to be paid will be provided by the Business Office. Please contact Marcus Tomlin at 301-576-2844.
Drop In Fees
- AM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $22 per day
- PM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
- Penalty fee for unauthorized use: Fee plus $15
- Penalty fee for late pick up after scheduled pickup time, either 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM: $1 per minute
- Prior to or following another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
- While a Barrie sibling is participating in another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
Locations for the 2018-19 school year will be posted here once available.
Extended Day Notes
- All students who are on campus after the end of their dismissal time will automatically be placed into their age-appropriate Extended Day group unless they are a participating in an after school activity. Students who are on campus after the end of the regular school day for an activity run by another department or teacher must be under the supervision of the respective department or program leader.
- If a student needs to use the extended day program for more than two days a week on a regular basis, the student should be enrolled full-time. Otherwise, drop-in charges will apply.
After School Enrichment Programs
Throughout the school year, special after-school enrichment programs provided by Barrie faculty or third parties are offered at an additional fee for Primary, Lower and Middle School students. These programs are available to all eligible Barrie students, not just those enrolled in the Extended Day program. We are currently actively exploring potential new programs as well as past ones. Past programs included: Martial Arts, Tiny Chefs, Play Well, Barn Buddies, and Piano Lessons. Enrollment forms for these programs are circulated a few weeks before they begin. Programs run in the Fall, Spring, or both. The length and fee for each program varies.
Child Care Days on Professional and Conference Days
Child care is available on conference and teacher professional days for 18 month through Middle School aged students. Enrollment is first come - first served. Please note that in order to comply with Office of Child Care regulations regarding ratios between staff and students, there are limited openings for Toddler and Primary Program students. There is no pizza provided on professional or conference days that fall on a Friday.
Students who regularly use the Extended Day program on school days ARE NOT automatically enrolled in child care programs offered on Professional and Conference Days. A Child Care Day Enrollment Form below must be submitted for all children who are to be enrolled in child care. Please note, however, that children enrolled full time (M-F) in the extended day program can be enrolled in professional/conference day child care at no charge.
On Conference Days, parents are welcome to drop off their children to their respective child care group during the time they are conferencing with teachers at no charge. Children dropped off must be currently enrolled Barrie students. For ratio purposes, if parents plan to do so, they must contact the Extended Day Director ahead of time. Parents who need their child to stay at school for any period of time before or after a conference must enroll their child(ren) in their age groups child care program using this form. Space is limited for the 18 Month through P5 aged students. No drop ins are permitted between 12pm and 2:30pm on Conference Days for children 18-24 month through Primary.
Child Care Day Enrollment Forms will be made available per semester for specific professional or conference day(s).
If your child is regularly administered medication during the school day, arrangements for administration of medication on professional and conference days must be made in advance with our school nurse, Patricia Ried. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-576-2814 or 301-576-2865.
Director of Camp and Equestrian Programs
Director of Extended Day - Toddler & Primary
Director of Extended Day - Grades 1-8