About Barrie Camp
A Summer of Adventure!
Monday, June 15 - Friday, August 14, 2020
9 AM - 4 PM / Monday - Friday
Barrie is an extraordinary environment for summer learning, exploration, and fun – camping at its best! With a wide variety of activities, a vibrant community, an abundance of multi-purpose facilities, and a vast natural setting, campers are free to explore new things, enjoy the outdoors, spend quality time with friends, and benefit from encouragement provided by an exciting group of counselors and program specialists.
An Extraordinary Environment for Learning
Barrie Camp is the ideal setting for unlimited activities indoors and out. With on-site horseback riding, swimming, canoeing, and arts, core activities are held on campus. The campus looks much the same as it did when the Layhill “ranch” became the camp's home in 1956.
Barrie Camp emphasizes social competence and friendship, positive values and inner growth, and cognitive and physical development. We create an environment where campers learn to work together as a team, respect and value others, develop practical life skills, expand their interests, assume responsibility and most importantly, be themselves.
The unique character, strengths, interests, fears, and needs of each camper are respected. Campers are encouraged, but not forced, to give everything a try. Finding a way of doing with support, acceptance, and encouragement from friends and counselors is the goal.
Campers enjoy a wide variety of activities and may focus on a specific interest in one of the specialty camps. Campers enjoy hands-on activities, explore new things, and strengthen skills on a daily basis. Older campers can participate in our Counselor-in-Training programs, acquiring leadership skills while earning community service hours.
- Equestrian facilities with stable and riding ring
- 25-meter Olympic outdoor swimming pool – 2.5 to 5 ft. deep
- Fourteen air conditioned school buildings and cottages
- Two ponds for canoeing and nature study
- Two Makerspaces
- Two Gymnasiums – one full-size and one half-size
- Black Box theater
- Art building, ceramics studio, and arts-and-crafts shack
- State of the art computer facilities
- Outdoor amphitheater and stage for morning assembly, special events, and entertainment
- Athletic fields, including a turf field
- Archery range
- Hiking trails including access to Matthew Henson Trail.
- Four playgrounds
- Tent platforms and firepit for overnights
- Two pavilions and innumerable shaded picnic areas