- In addition to the required coursework, students take an English as a Foreign Language (EFL) class each year. There, they read and learn about American culture as an extension of the core humanities classes.
- Barrie's International Student Program coordinator plans events throughout the year that include pumpkin carving during Halloween, a Chinese New Year celebration, a trip to Hershey Park, and two overnight destinations.
- Each year, an International student is chosen to be the International Representative to the Student Government Association (SGA).
- International students compete on varsity athletic teams, act and sing in plays and musicals, and develop close relationships with teachers and students.
- Vast opportunities at Barrie give International San advantage in the college admissions process as they demonstrate academic excellence and social and emotional competency as a result of our program. Nearby colleges include University of Maryland at College Park, Georgetown University, American University, and George Washington University, among others.
Jishen Wang '16
Jishen graduated from Emory University in 2020 after studying economics and history and is now working as a customer relations manager at Huawei in China. His current position will take him around the world, including to Africa and Latin America to establish much needed telecommunications infrastructure.
While at Barrie, Jishen:
- Completed AP Calculus AB, and AP Statistics, followed by Multivariable Calculus (a class usually taken by Sophomores in college).
- Achieved very high scores on the TOEFL as a result of our interdisciplinary Humanities Program which combines the study of English, history, and other social science disciplines.
- Participated for four years on the Varsity Basketball team and was captain during his Senior year.
- Was a member of the cast in several school plays and musicals, and held a lead role in "Hairspray."
The application deadline for first round consideration for fall 2021-2022, is January 18, 2021. Decisions are released the first week of March 2021. Applications received after the deadline will be processed on a rolling basis until spaces are filled.