Barrie School is a progressive independent school that inspires excellence, intrinsic motivation, and responsibility through innovation in learning.
Serving a diverse and inclusive student body, our intentional educational throughline—from Montessori (3 months - Grade 6) to Project-Based Learning (Grades 6 -12)—cultivates learning that lasts. Our challenging educational experiences unlock intrinsic motivation and innovation in both students and faculty. And our community fosters a deep sense of belonging and honors student voice and responsibility. All of this comes together to create engaged citizens with diverse and inclusive world views who are confident to be and advocate for themselves.
Located in Silver Spring, Maryland, Barrie School provides an extraordinary learning environment integrating local, national and global educational opportunities. Our 45-acre campus is home to the world-renowned Barrie Institute for Advanced Montessori Studies—one of the largest school-based teacher training programs in the country—and Barrie Camp, a Washington, D.C. area tradition since the 1950s.
Age 3 Months - Grade 6
Middle & Upper School
- Located minutes away from the nation’s capital, the ICC, and Glenmont Metro subway station.
- Bus Transportation & Extended Day Available
- Home of the Barrie Institute for Advanced Montessori Studies
- One of the most diverse private schools in the U.S.
- 61% students of color:
- $2M awarded for
need-based financial aid
- $300K awarded for merit-based aid
- 100% of students in Middle and Upper School participate in athletics