On Tuesday, February 6th, Barrie Montessori students enjoyed seeing the progress of the Rothschild Hall renovation with Head of School, Jon Kidder, Head of Barrie Montessori Margie Smetana, and HBW's On-Site Superintendent James Pumphrey.
Rothschild Hall Renovation
- Steel frame and roof are 100% complete
- Exterior panels are installed and finished siding is ongoing
- Waterproofing and vapor barrier are finalized
- Electrical and mechanical rough-ins are 100% complete
- Mechanical work has begun with completion by mid-February
- Interior finish work to begin this month
- Groundbreaking was held in late October
- HBW Construction has officially mobilized
- Interior demolition is 100% complete
- Exterior demolition is ongoing
- Protection of trees and surrounding areas has been implemented
- Information technology and audio visual design is being developed
- HBW Construction has been selected as the General Contractor
- Preconstruction efforts are underway
- General Contractor mobilization is anticipated to begin in early November
- The building permit is currently under review
- A Groundbreaking Ceremony is being planned
In October, HBW Construction was selected as the General Contractor for the renovation. HBW has a stellar reputation as a local full-service commercial construction firm with expertise in school construction projects like this. They will provide an on-site superintendent to oversee the project and ensure that all details are handled professionally. HBW is anticipated to begin work in early November.
Meanwhile, under the direction of Kramer Consulting, our project management team, pre-construction efforts are underway, and the building permit is nearing the final stages of the review process.
Once renovations are completed in the late Spring of 2018, the exterior will feature a new building skin and frame, windows, building entrances, roof enhancements, and site improvements. Interior renovations will include new walls, doors, frames, ceilings, floors, and finishes. Upgrades will be made to the existing restrooms, kitchens, and building access. A site plan and other documents are available for viewing in the Administration Building.
We are on schedule, on budget, and the newly renovated Rothschild Hall will be ready for three lower elementary classrooms and a lower school library for the start of the 2018-19 school year. We want to extend our heartfelt thanks to the faculty and staff who contributed their expertise and knowledge of Montessori education in the planning of the Rothschild Hall renovation. We are also heartened to share that this project is made possible by donations from a number of our Board trustees, and we are truly grateful for their leadership and foresight to create a state of the art classroom where student learning will thrive.
General Contractor mobilization
New building structure
Building substantial completion
- New interiors
- New furniture delivery
- Installation of new walkway and hardscape
- Final inspections