Barrie’s Extended Day Program is offered before and after school for students age 18 months through Grade 8, beginning at 7:00am and ending at 6:00pm.
The Extended Day Program offers a warm and nurturing environment, which will meet the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of your child. While respecting the individuality of your child's development, the program fosters a sense of community within the group, encourage learning between the children, and enhances your child's emerging social skills. Group leaders are sensitive to the developmental needs of the child and provide appropriate support and programming.
Full-time, part-time, and drop-in usage of the program are available by advanced arrangement with the Extended Day Director or the Business Office. Space is limited for the 18 Month through P5 aged students.
To enroll, please complete the After School Supervision Agreement.
Dan Hayden, Director of Extended Day
Marcus Tomlin (Business Office)
- 18 - 24 Month Olds : Camp Office Building Classroom
- 2 Year Olds (P2): Founder's Hall, Last Classroom
- Primary Students (P3 - P5): McDermott Hall, East Entrance
- Elementary Students and Middle School Students (1st - 8th Grade): Jamie L Roberts Athletic Center Gym
- 18 - 24 Month Olds: Montessori Office Classroom
- 2 Year Olds (P2): Founder's Hall, Middle Classroom
- Primary Students (P3 - P5): McDermott Hall, East Entrance and Back Entrance
- Elementary and Middle School Students (P5 - 8th Grade): Middle School Commons
- Select P5 students can go with the Elementary and Middle School group
Extended Day Fees
- Morning Only (7:00 AM to 8:30 AM; 18 month to Grade 8): $2,430
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $3,750
- Afternoon Only (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $2,395
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 6:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $4,950
- Both Morning and Afternoon (3:15 PM to 5:00 PM; 18 month to Grade 8): $3,900
- As the school day for students in the 4th through 12th Grades begins earlier than for Primary and Lower Elementary students, younger siblings of 4th through 12th Grade Barrie students are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens at no charge. For ratio purposes, students in P4 (Pre-Kindergarten) and younger must be registered for extended day.
- Students arriving by bus are welcome to drop in on the morning program until their classroom opens at no charge.
- Parents are permitted to drop off their Barrie students while they attend a scheduled school meeting, conference on regular school days and conference days at no charge.
Drop-In / Short-Term Usage
Drop-In usage is potentially available, depending on the group, and can be arranged with extended day personnel. Call or email Dan Hayden at least 24 hours prior to the day that you are requesting. Space is limited for the 18 Month through P4 aged students.
Short-term usage of at least a month or more can be arranged through the business office. An Extended Day Agreement must be completed and the amount to be paid provided by the Business Office. Please contact Marcus Tomlin at 301-576-2844.
Drop In Fees
- AM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $22 per day
- PM Drop-in supervision: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
- Prior to or following another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
- While a Barrie sibling is participating in another after-school activity scheduled between 3:30 pm and 6 pm: $1 per minute up to $26 per day
- Penalty fee for unauthorized use: Fee plus $15
- Penalty fee for late pick up after scheduled pickup time, either 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM: $1 per minute
Extended Day Notes
- All students who are on campus after the end of their dismissal time will automatically be placed into their respective ages Extended Day group unless they are a part of an after school activity. Students who are on campus after the end of the regular school day for an activity run by another department or teacher must be under the supervision of the respective department or program leader.
- If a student needs to use the extended day program for more than two days a week on a regular basis, the student should be enrolled full-time. Otherwise, drop-in charges will apply.
Throughout the school year, a series of special after-school enrichment programs provided by Barrie faculty or third parties are offered at an additional fee for all Primary, Lower and Middle School students. These programs are available to all eligible Barrie students, not just those enrolled in the Extended Day program. We are currently actively exploring potential new programs as well as past ones. Past programs included, depending on the part of the school year: Spanish Enrichment, Martial Arts, Tiny Chefs, Play Well, Barn Buddies and Piano Lessons. Enrollment forms for these programs are circulated a few weeks before they begin. Programs run in the Fall, Spring, or both. The length and fee for each program varies.
Fall 2017 Enrichment Programs
- Monday - Tiny Chefs
- Tuesday and Thursday - Little Dragons and Junior Black Belt Karate
- Wednesday - Mad Science
- Monday - Friday - Piano Lessons
Child Care Days on Professional and Conference Days
Child care is available on conference and teacher professional days for students in the 18 month through Middle School aged students. Enrollment is first come - first served. Please note that in order to comply with Office of Child Care regulations regarding ratios between staff and students, there are limited openings for children from our 18 month, two year-old and Primary classes. Children are supervised at the top of the hill in the Founders Hall rooms, McDermott Hall rooms, and the Lower School Gym. Group locations are subject to change. A lunch should be packed for each participating child as per their normal school day. There is no pizza provided on professional or conference days that fall on a Friday.
Students who regularly use the Extended Day program on school days are not automatically enrolled in child care programs offered on Professional and Conference Days. A Child Care Day Enrollment Form below must be used for all children who are to be enrolled in child care. Please note, however, that children enrolled full time (M-F) in the extended day program can be enrolled in professional/conference day child care at no charge.
On Conference Days, parents are welcome to drop off their children to their respective child care group during the time they are conferencing with teachers at no charge. Children dropped off must be currently enrolled Barrie students. For ratio purposes, if parents plan to do so, you must contact the Extended Day Director ahead of time. Parents who need their child to stay at school for any period of time before or after a conference must enroll their child(ren) in their age groups child care program using this form. Space is limited for the 18 Month through P5 aged students.
As Barrie has an open-enrollment policy, Child Care Day Enrollment Forms will be made available per semester for specific professional or conference day(s).
If your child is regularly administered medication during the school day, arrangements for administration of medication on professional and conference days must be made in advance with our school nurse, Patricia Ried. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-576-2814 or 301-576-2865.
Child Care Day Enrollment Forms should be forwarded to the Director of Extended Day at least 48 hours prior to the day child care is offered. A $25 late fee per child will be assessed when forms are late.
Lost and Found
Did your child leave something behind? Check out the Extended Day Lost and Found page!